Skip to main content

Teaching Calmness

William George Jordan was born in 1864 and died in 1928. At the time he was a well-known editor for many publications, one of which was the Saturday Evening Post. Although Jordan was a highly respected editor, he also became known for his presentations and books in the area of mental training – the art of being calm! [i]

Jordan said, “Calmness is the rarest quality in human life. It is the poise of a great nature, in harmony with itself and its ideals. It is the moral atmosphere of a life self-centered, self reliant, and self-controlled. Calmness is singleness of purpose, absolute confidence, and conscious power - ready to be focused in an instant to meet any crisis."
Jordan goes on to state that the fatalist is not calm, and that this person usually surrenders to his or her present situation.

I did not read the works of William George Jordan until I was much older in life. I was surprised to find a fellow author, who believed much as I that the art of staying calm in difficult situations was a critical skill in order to counter the acts of bullying.

In Jordan’s words, “Calmness comes ever from within. It is the peace and restfulness of the depths of our nature.”

I don’t remember an exact time in my life when I first began this skill, but I can still remember some of my earliest examples. As a child going to a doctor, I would sit in the lobby, close my eyes, and calm myself down. Through the years, I would use this technique in many of my medical situations and when I was bullied in my early teens.

The true test of this skill came in my twenties when I was faced with a life and death situation. My ability to calm myself and realistically deal with the situation confronting me was probably the greatest reason that I survived.

The years went by and the skill of calmness became just a part of my everyday life. As a school principal, calmness was my greatest ally. I used this skill like a protective shield so that I could analyze any situation and develop an appropriate response. It is not surprising that I spent most of my career working in schools that were faced with difficult situations.

Calmness can greatly help our children when they are attacked by a bully or find themselves as bystanders.

The worst enemy of calmness is reactionary impulsive decisions or a submissive belief. These are the reactions bullies strive for in their victims.

How do we teach this skill? From the earliest points of childhood, parents are faced with numerous times when a child is distraught over events in their life. The child may have skinned up their knees in a bicycle accident or had a confrontation with a sibling. Rather than reacting quickly, let’s try to calm the child down first. This will allow you as the parent to get a complete picture of the situation and begin teaching the child the skill of calmness.
Discussions of reacting to situations with calmness can be part of the ongoing discussions with the family. You can set up scenarios or real situations and discuss possible ways of using this skill.

As the child moves toward adolescence the lessons in calmness can be far more preventative.

Last, I believe one of the greatest enemies of our society is ‘Hurry’ the antithesis of calmness. Jordan believed this as well. We hurry here and we hurry there, often missing valuable points in our surroundings.

I usually find myself smiling as I see these types of personalities at work. They remind me of the Disney film Alice in Wonderland when the white rabbit says, “I'm late! I'm late for a very important date!” I often wonder if they are like this every minute of their lives.

A related personality to the ‘hurry’ person is the people who ‘multi-task’. They are like the white rabbit except they juggle multiple things at the same time to avoid the perception of ‘hurrying’. I find these personalities pretty cool to watch – right up to the moment when everything collapses! Unfortunately for these people, they often take down many things at once when the collapse occurs.




[i] William George Jordan, The Majesty of Calmness, Filiquarian Publishing, 2007

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TELL US MORE ABOUT YOU

I was at a community author talk not too long ago for aspiring authors, when a young lady in the middle of the room raised her hand, "Would you tell us more about your background? What were the influences or experiences in your life that led to your writing?" I smiled at the request, looked down at my feet for a brief moment, and nodded my head in silence. "So many," I answered, "so very many!" I was born in a small rural community in the Pacific Northwest. Our small one-bedroom home was situated just a stone's throw from the banks of the Snake River. Being an only child, I slept in the basement next to the warm coal furnace. During our freezing winters, this was an ideal place to have bed.  It was at this time, my mother took me to the library for the very first time. I stared at the rows of books in disbelief and excitement. My very first picture book book was one about dinosaurs. This love of books would later include Mark Twain's cha...

The Ghost of Lizard's Rock

Writing The Ghost Of Lizard's Rock Shona Anderson and I   first began writing in 2011 a new book series called the ‘ Cow Pie Gang ’.  As  leaders in education & bully prevention in our home countries of the United States and Canada, we recognized the need for books written for tweens (ages 11-14) and the issues confronting them in the 21 st  century  such as growing up, developing friendships, bullying, death, divorce, and so much more. Four books later, the ‘ Cow Pie Gang’  series has been adopted for use in thousands of classrooms in the United States, Canada, and five other countries. This is the series parents want their children to read or hear.

BULLY AND THE BYSTANDER

by J Richard Knapp First, bystanders may be afraid to get involved. These people fear becoming the new target of the bully or even getting hurt while defending the victim. Second, some bystanders are confused and unsure what to do - so in turn they do nothing at all. Bystanders need a plan of what to do. These bystanders may choose to disassociate themselves with the victim, which may result in deep feelings of guilt . Third, some bystanders are actually rewarding the behavior of the bully and support the incident which is occurring. These individuals need to be held accountable for their behavior. It is not unusual for these witnesses to blame the victim and attempt to vindicate the bully. I am often concerned about some anti-bully advocates telling the bystander to intervene on behalf of the victim. This is easier to suggest rather than do. Imagine the courage it would take to stand up for someone you view as strange or a 'loser' . Intervention takes ...